I posted this on AC where I normally live but then it occurred to me Connectedly might be a good place to ask the same question?

Hello, looking for a bit of input here, I do a bit of running now and Im enjoying it but, I guess like many people, Ive been looking for a way to use runkeeeper and listen to music without taking my phone out.

I picked up a Sony SmartWatch 3 as it had built in GPS but found the GPS signal so flaky and unreliable I had to return it. I only used the watch for running so I would have to turn it on 20 minutes before I left to get a GPS lock (Runkeeper doesnt display signal on the watch so I would have to use endomondo which did just to see if it was active!), then as soon as I set off the GPS would drop and not come back on until about ten minutes into my run.

It was clunky and fussy and I got fed up so sent it back however I still love the idea. Im wondering about the Moto 360 Sport now as that has GPS but not sure if it will be just as good/bad as the Sony. Or should I be looking for a non android wear device? Ive considered an apple watch but the thought of having to curate a playlist on iTunes fills me with dread!

Anyone have any experience with this they can share that might help?
    09-21-2016 09:14 AM
    I've had similar experiences with my Sony Smartwatch 3 and it's GPS that I pretty much gave up on it and haven't tried it in quite some time. I still have the watch tho, so maybe I'll try it again as software updates may have improved it.

To be honest, I kinda of just gave up on saving metrics or using fitness apps all together. I found that I fussed and tinkered with heart rate monitors, fitness apps, GPS, what metrics I wanted shown, etc., etc. rather than focus on my running. The result was that I actually ran less, less often, and didn't enjoy my time out running as much either.

I currently leave my phone, HRM, and most everything else at home when I go out for a run and just bring a clever headset device I got from Kickstarter called "the Dash" from a little German company, Bragi. The Dash tracks how far I ran, how long I ran, and my average heart rate... It chimes in every so often over my music to tell me my progress. I don't really save this data, but there is apparently an option to do so in the Bragi phone app (iOS & Android). Although, I must admit... I've never actually tried to save this data after a run.

More info on the Dash here: http://www.bragi.com

To answer your original question tho, I would suggest asking yourself what you really wish to gain from your runs. If data collection helps you reach those goals, (say go from a 11 min mile to a 9 min mile or prepare for a 10k or whatever) then by all means look into the Casio GPS smartwatch, Garmin Fenix models, or even the Moto 360 Sport. Maybe try out a rental service like Lumoid.com that lets you rent and try out many wearable devices without actually purchasing it.

If you just want to stay or get in shape or simply enjoy running as a therapeutic release then maybe less is exactly what you need.

Just my .02 from my experience... Best of luck! Keep running! :-)
    09-22-2016 01:24 AM
    thanks very much, that's some interesting points. I'm always guilty of going too deep into the weeds with technology in all walks of life to be honest however it's apps and tech that got me out running in the first place when I'd never really been that interested in fitness before. Oddly playing around with things like that keep me going back for more if that makes sense.

What I did learn from the Sony is I dont need a smartwatch all day. every day, it was only any interest to me for running but just didnt work. Based on that maybe looking at watches is not the right way to go for me. I've come across the Pebble Core (http://forums.connectedly.com/e?link...token=AmsYtKz1) I think I might hang out for that, it sounds like pretty much what I want.
    09-23-2016 09:18 AM
    I did post a reply earlier but it got held for moderation for some reason! Hopefully will turn up soon, might be because I included a link
    09-23-2016 12:00 PM

What I did learn from the Sony is I dont need a smartwatch all day. every day, it was only any interest to me for running but just didnt work. Based on that maybe looking at watches is not the right way to go for me. I've come across the Pebble Core. I think I might hang out for that, it sounds like pretty much what I want.
    Agreed... The Pebble Core does seem an interesting device. I'll be looking into that one as well once it's released. 😁
    09-23-2016 04:26 PM