Welcome to the Connectedly Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    3,997 Global Posts

Jet Recons, the Future of Cycling?

Do you think glasses like jet recons will be the future of cycling. Doing away with the computer mounted to the stem?

Posted via Magical Leprechaun's who power a Nexus 4. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux.
    Q&A Jedi

Global Posts
    40,065 Global Posts
    Looks like a cheaper version of Google Glass! Be nice to see some competition in the connected eyewear category!

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    I hope its the future. I would buy a reasonably priced set that had interchangeable lenses (or could be fitted to standard glasses) showing basic info like: speed (current and average), distance etc

For a more advanced version voice commands to pull up different info or even navigation!

yours faithfully,
    Chimpboy74

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Aaaarrrggghhh. The more I see and read about these the more I want them.

Too pricey at the moment for me though. Oh well.

yours faithfully,
    Chimpboy74

Global Posts
    3,997 Global Posts
    They are very pricey but I probably better 2 new Oakley's

Posted via Magical Leprechaun's who power a Nexus 4. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux.

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    I got some recon jets for Xmas. Only used them once but they are really good. So far I have only used for HUD for my stats whilst cycling which it is great for. I took a couple of videos but more for fun than anything. I could see that if you saw or expected an incident or some nice scenery you could use this feature but it takes 3 to 4 seconds to start recording so not really for filming incidents which normally happen before you have a chance to start recording.

It will also do navigation but I don't think I'll use this. After a cycle you can view your route on a map which again is nice but not something I'd use very often.

What I really liked was that I got a call and saw the caller ID in the display which made it easy to decide if I wanted to stop and take it or ignore it. I believe you can answer the call if you have a BT headset connected to your phone but I don't have one of these. I also got a text and it was good to be able to read it on the go but I don't think you can reply without stopping and pulling phone out.

I thought having a screen on at your eye would be a distraction but it really wasn't. I even left the screen on all the time (there is a glance feature that turns the screen off when you look away but not used that yet) and didn't feel distracted but the info was there when I wanted it.

My only gripe so far is that when looking over my shoulder (right, as I'm in uk) the controls etc do really block your view to check for vehicles coming behind. I did figure a way to tilt my head to see past but it remains to be seen if this will be an annoyance in regular use. I saw suggestions on the recon forums to make the battery and computer swappable so that the HUD could be moved to left eye for countries where we drive on the left. I'm not sure this will really help as the battery is held on the opposite side and similarly blocks view when looking over that shoulder. (think glasses with very wide legs)

On the whole I'd say I love these things but then I am a gadget head!

I got them as an Xmas pressie but my wife got them for 100gbp which is significantly lower than rrp. I would say not worth £360 but really good for £100!

If anyone has any questions on these I'm happy to a try and answer.

Posted via the Connectedly App for Android

Global Posts
    3,997 Global Posts
    Thanks for the review, it feels like I had been looking at these for years. I couldn't justify them over my Garmin's. It's interesting you said the controls as I thought they did look. A but bulky.

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Yes the battery (left side of head) and camera/controls (right side) definitely block when looking over shoulder. I've only done one short ride but kind of figured a way to see past these when checking behind. That said your view is limited even if you can see anything coming up from behind. I'm hoping I'll get used to it but it's definitely a downside to these.

I think I would have sent them back if my wife had paid full price but she got such a good deal on them I'm happy to persevere. That said I had to pay for clear lenses as the dark lenses that come with them are too dark for a rarely sunny Scotland.

The spare lenses are not cheap at 60GBP I did think they were a bit of a rip off but the lenses actually have the connectors for the camera and a circuit to carry power from the battery to the camera so I can kind of see why they are more pricey.

I believe you can buy the recons as a bundle with different colour lenses (which work out cheaper than buying them individually) .

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Just as an aside recon instruments now make a jet pro for the workplace. These look seriously awesome.

http://www.reconinstruments.com/enterprise/jet-pro/