Welcome to the Connectedly Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    2,185 Global Posts

My First Impressions with the Kreyos Meteor...

I received my Kreyos in the mail yesterday and immediately ripped open the package to test it out! Downloaded the app from the Google Play store, charged up the watch and created an account on Kreyos' web site (apparently, their forums have an entirely separate account / login). Once all that was completed, I fire up the watch and the app and am greeted with a nice intro screen to help me get started.

This is where things got a little shaky... I try to pair my brand new Kreyos to my phone (a Nexus 5) and the app can't seem to find the Kreyos watch. Kinda odd, so after a few tries, I pop out into the phone's bluetooth settings... it CAN see the Kreyos watch and I connect to it from the bluetooth settings screen. Head back into the Kreyos app thinking that must have been the problem and No, the app still can't see the watch .

At this point, I'm a bit confused and not really sure what is going on, so I do what any rational geek would do.... start mashing buttons! I discover that pressing the lower-left button on the Kreyos, it changes the text displayed on the screen of "Meteor 202A" to "Meteor 202A(1)". I really have no idea what this means, but lets try it anyway! Go back to the Kreyos app on the Nexus 5 and it finds the Kreyos Meteor watch! Awesome, I think, that's out of the way... the next screen says I have to enable "Notification access" for Kreyos in Android's settings. As my Nexus 5 is running Android version 4.4.4 this is no problem... click the check box and I move on. I am greeted with a cool looking "Home" screen with some activity information and some slide menus (one on each side, which I find kind of weird... not exactly to Android app style guidelines, but ok). I set up my notifications and then hit a road block... I am booted back to my phone's home screen as the Kreyos app has "stopped" and crashed .

I load up the Kreyos app again and find that the watch is no longer paired or connected and now have to go through the same process over again to get it connected all over again . I reboot the Nexus 5 and disconnect / turn off any other bluetooth devices around me, just to make sure there is nothing funky going on there. Once back up and running the watch is still paired and connected, so I try to send a text message to myself from another phone and the watch loses connection with the phone. I get the text, but the watch wasn't connected... so it never goes to the watch. I then notice (and I'm not sure if this was happening the whole time or not) that the watch is connecting / disconnecting from the phone over and over again.... only staying connected to the phone for about 5 seconds or so. I can even watch it connect / disconnect in the Nexus 5's Bluetooth settings. I reboot and try everything over... same issue, no matter what I try I can't seem to get the Kreyos to STAY connected to the Nexus 5. During this whole thing, I should mention that the Kreyos' app seems to crash and "stop" at random several times.

Quick little video of this odd "flapping" connect / disconnect issue:

My Nexus 5 is stock / unrooted running Android 4.4.4... I have access to a Samsung S4 (also stock) running Android 4.4.2, so I try that. At first, I cannot get the S4 to pair or connect to the Kreyos at all... it always gives me a message of "Unable to communicate with Meteor" even in the phone's bluetooth settings screen and even after random button mashing haha.

After playing with it for a while, I find that going into the settings on the Kreyos watch and then "Bluetooth" appears to place the watch into a "pairing / scanning" mode of sorts. Once I leave the Kreyos on this screen and go back to the S4, it pairs up and connects just fine. Kinda odd as I did not receive any documentation or instructions with the watch stating that this would be necessary. None the less, the watch connects to the Samsung S4 and actually stays connected this time! I can access the home screen, see the synced "activity" information from the watch and all the features seem to work. Notifications from text messages, email, incoming phone calls, twitter, etc. all seem to work on the S4. I even make a phone call with it to try it out and, while it does technically work... the sound quality from the speaker is pretty terrible (what I would compare to a fast food drive-thru speaker).

I'm not sure why it doesn't work with my Nexus 5, perhaps the difference in Android versions (4.4.4 vs. 4.4.2) has something to do with it. I also have many other smartwatches, however none of them were on or connected at the time, maybe their software (still on the Nexus 5) is causing a problem for Kreyos. I'm not sure what is going on there... I will keep trying to mess around with it, but for the time being the Kreyos isn't much use on my Nexus 5.
    Last edited by Penguwin; 08-19-2014 at 04:41 AM.
    The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Penguwin For This Useful Post::
    chimpboy74 (08-19-2014),  eyecrispy (08-19-2014),  sfringer (08-19-2014),  Teejai80 (08-19-2014) 
    sfringer likes this.

Global Posts
    757 Global Posts
    Thanks. Im going to save this for when I get my meteor in case I need help getting it to pair to my phone

On another note how did you change your profile picture for kreyos? In the app? I have the app and an account but can change my picture!

yours faithfully,
    Chimpboy74

Global Posts
    2,185 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chimpboy74 View Post
    Thanks. Im going to save this for when I get my meteor in case I need help getting it to pair to my phone

On another note how did you change your profile picture for kreyos? In the app? I have the app and an account but can change my picture!

yours faithfully,
    Chimpboy74
    No problem... I'll be here to answer any other questions as well when you get yours .

To change the profile picture in the Kreyos app, simply tap the profile pic circle and select "choose from gallery" or "capture image".

Sadly, this is another thing that just doesn't seem to work on my Nexus 5, but as you can see, it works great on the S4.

Global Posts
    3,812 Global Posts
    Thanks for taking time to do a detailed write up. I'll compare it to my iOS experience when I get mine in the next few days. It really just shouldn't be this difficult.

Global Posts
    3,812 Global Posts
    Oh one question - how did it impact battery life on your phone, if any? I'd expect the constant bt connects and disconnects to be quite a drain on not just the watch, but the phone as well.

Global Posts
    2,185 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eyecrispy View Post
    Oh one question - how did it impact battery life on your phone, if any? I'd expect the constant bt connects and disconnects to be quite a drain on not just the watch, but the phone as well.
    On my Nexus 5 it did actually kill the phone's battery... I was at 25% battery on the phone after about 6 hours of the non stop connect/disconnect issue. I wasn't worried about the phone dying, so I just let it be. I was at my computer, so I just hooked the phone up to charge once it reached 25%.

I didn't have the watch hooked up to the Samsung S4 for more than an hour, so not really sure it's impact on the Samsung's battery.

The Kreyos shows 2 bars of battery left... It was fully charged when I started playing with it.

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguwin View Post
    I'm not sure why it doesn't work with my Nexus 5, perhaps the difference in Android versions (4.4.4 vs. 4.4.2) has something to do with it. I also have many other smartwatches, however none of them were on or connected at the time, maybe their software (still on the Nexus 5) is causing a problem for Kreyos. I'm not sure what is going on there... I will keep trying to mess around with it, but for the time being the Kreyos isn't much use on my Nexus 5.
    Kreyos claims there is an issue with Bluetooth connectivity with the Nexus 5:

I own an LG Nexus 5 and I find that my Bluetooth connection always gets disconnected. What gives? ? Customer Feedback & Ideas for Kreyos

I have no guarantee on the validity of this claim.
    The Following User Says Thank You to sfringer For This Useful Post::
    Penguwin (08-19-2014) 

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Penguwin;

Great post! Sorry to hear of all your struggles - it is frustrating to have even mediocre expectations (in my case at least) not met. I am starting to wonder if Android 4.4.4 is leading to some of our struggles as that is what my Moto X is running; though I certainly didn't experience the constant connect/disconnect cycle. Regardless, they've had time for their app developers to work through issues; certainly development hardware was available to support Bluetooth development (a key to the base functionality of the Meteor)

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    One other interesting thing I noticed from your pictures - your screen protectors came in a separate little package. Mine were just two loose protectors inserted behind the watch tray (where the charger is located). Have you looked closely at the protectors? If so, do they have a tab that protrudes from the corner that doesn't come of when applied (I've not applied mine at this time). The protectors included with my Meteor seem to simply be the protective label installed on the Meteor in the tray with the white instruction label. (Without the label, of course)

Clearly even their fulfillment process isn't consistent.

Global Posts
    2,185 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sfringer View Post
    Kreyos claims there is an issue with Bluetooth connectivity with the Nexus 5:

I own an LG Nexus 5 and I find that my Bluetooth connection always gets disconnected. What gives? ? Customer Feedback & Ideas for Kreyos

I have no guarantee on the validity of this claim.
    Awesome! At least I'm not the only one! Much appreciated for the link, I haven't had a chance to post over on Kreyos' forums yet... That will be my next step.

Penguwin;

Great post! Sorry to hear of all your struggles - it is frustrating to have even mediocre expectations (in my case at least) not met. I am starting to wonder if Android 4.4.4 is leading to some of our struggles as that is what my Moto X is running; though I certainly didn't experience the constant connect/disconnect cycle. Regardless, they've had time for their app developers to work through issues; certainly development hardware was available to support Bluetooth development (a key to the base functionality of the Meteor)
    Credit where credit is due ... Connectedly's own Teejai80 was the first to suggest that 4.4.4 may be the issue to me and I'm beginning to think he has a point!

Being that the Nexus 5 is readily available and Google's stock answer to Android, I'm surprised they didn't test their watch on it more!

One other interesting thing I noticed from your pictures - your screen protectors came in a separate little package. Mine were just two loose protectors inserted behind the watch tray (where the charger is located). Have you looked closely at the protectors? If so, do they have a tab that protrudes from the corner that doesn't come of when applied (I've not applied mine at this time). The protectors included with my Meteor seem to simply be the protective label installed on the Meteor in the tray with the white instruction label. (Without the label, of course)

Clearly even their fulfillment process isn't consistent.
    I haven't applied my screen protectors either. I have both the tabbed screen protectors under the watch with the charger that you describe AND the separately packaged ones. They BOTH seem to be the same thing, both with the little tabs on the corner. So, I guess I just have four now for some reason . Pics below:

Thanks again for all your replies and info on the Kreyos!
    Last edited by Penguwin; 08-19-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Awesome! At least I'm not the only one! Much appreciated for the link, I haven't had a chance to post over on Kreyos' forums yet... That will be my next step.
    Yea - I peruse there every so often. I'm not a fan that I can't post a bug if I'm out of votes. They even say to post bugs there! How can I 'vote' for issues other people post (and I've encountered) and still post new issues I've found. I'd hate to start sending an email for each issue directly to their support email address since they're already struggling there.

Wow... I haven't applied my screen protectors either. I have both the tabbed screen protectors under the watch with the charger that you describe AND the separately packaged ones. I will take pictures in a sec and update this post for ya.

Thanks again for all your replies and info on the Kreyos!
    Same to you - I think between us we'll hit all of the salient issues with this thing for others to benefit.

And, today I managed to get the Meteor and my Moto X connected again. I left my Moto X at my desk as I walked off to get some water, and when I came back the Kreyos app indicated the Meteor wasn't connected. This time I let the app reconnect on it's own, and I've now encountered the connect/disconnect syndrome you outlined. I'm leaning closer to that 4.4.4 is part of the issue - but if there was a known change to the Bluetooth stack in 4.4.4, Kreyos as Android developers should be aware and code accordingly.

Global Posts
    2,185 Global Posts
    Yea - I peruse there every so often. I'm not a fan that I can't post a bug if I'm out of votes. They even say to post bugs there! How can I 'vote' for issues other people post (and I've encountered) and still post new issues I've found. I'd hate to start sending an email for each issue directly to their support email address since they're already struggling there.

Same to you - I think between us we'll hit all of the salient issues with this thing for others to benefit.

And, today I managed to get the Meteor and my Moto X connected again. I left my Moto X at my desk as I walked off to get some water, and when I came back the Kreyos app indicated the Meteor wasn't connected. This time I let the app reconnect on it's own, and I've now encountered the connect/disconnect syndrome you outlined. I'm leaning closer to that 4.4.4 is part of the issue - but if there was a known change to the Bluetooth stack in 4.4.4, Kreyos as Android developers should be aware and code accordingly.
    Couldn't agree with you more on all accounts!👍 .

I've edited my last reply with some pics of the screen protectors received... They appear to be the same thing as you received, just more of the same.
    The Following User Says Thank You to Penguwin For This Useful Post::
    sfringer (08-19-2014) 

Global Posts
    757 Global Posts
    No problem... I'll be here to answer any other questions as well when you get yours .

To change the profile picture in the Kreyos app, simply tap the profile pic circle and select "choose from gallery" or "capture image".

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/19/puna4e6e.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/19/hyva9usu.jpg

Sadly, this is another thing that just doesn't seem to work on my Nexus 5, but as you can see, it works great on the S4.
    Ah. Thanks. Tries that before and it didn't work. Maybe the update sorted it.

yours faithfully,
    Chimpboy74

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Couldn't agree with you more on all accounts!�� .

I've edited my last reply with some pics of the screen protectors received... They appear to be the same thing as you received, just more of the same.
    Yep. More of the same. Thanks for adding the updated pictures.

Global Posts
    1,574 Global Posts
    So on the whole 4.4.4 thing, it is a common problem by the looks with Bluetooth trackers. Consistently different products seem to fail with it. I have some problems with my Sony smartwatch 2 doing the connection dance and this also leads me to think it is device or software specific.

I have also noticed that Bluetooth hates being disconnect and I am guessing it also hates going in and out of polling range. By this I mean it can see a non paired device. Something seems to go funky. I am really at the point of setting up a nightly restart just to flush Bluetooth and this is on a stock phone!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    2,185 Global Posts
    So, giving this thing another try... I've tried to play with it and get it to work with my Nexus 5 with no success. I *CAN* actually connect to the Nexus, but only for a few seconds before it disconnects and goes back into the connection dance I showed above.

However, on a Samsung S4 running Android 4.4.2 I have had some limited success in getting the Kreyos to connect and stay connected (somewhat). By connecting the Kreyos up to the Samsung, I was able to upgrade the firmware of the Kreyos to the latest available 1.0.0.1071. I have also updated the Kreyos app to the latest version 1.1.2 . What has changed or improved? Almost nothing that I can tell... It still does the connection dance and will not stay connected to my Nexus 5 and while it says it's connected to the Samsung it misses 4 out of 5 notifications. Even when you *DO* get a notification, it leaves much to be desired, there is practically no formatting or styling to the text on the Kreyos' screen. Just as an example, I have taken two photo's of a very similar text message... one on the Kreyos and one on an original Pebble.

On the Kreyos, the phone number of the person that sent you the text is shown along with the message (even if a contact name is assigned on your phone). There is no real formatting or styling, just plain vanilla text thrown on the screen. You'll have to forgive that the phone number has been blurred in the above pic... I don't need the world calling at all hours hehe.

Now, look at the Pebble picture and you'll see that the same information is displayed, but in a much more pleasant manner. The name of the contact is displayed instead of just the person's phone number and it is in a larger, bolder text. A time stamp is given at the top of the screen, I understand that some iOS Kreyos users get a time stamp as well, but it's almost always inaccurate.

So, basically... even when the Kreyos does work for me, it is still waaaay behind the competition. Just a quick comparison I thought I would share with ya'all.
    The Following User Says Thank You to Penguwin For This Useful Post::
    sfringer (08-22-2014) 

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Definitely appreciate you sharing the comparison shots. While this is my first 'connected' watch (I can't call this thing smart - sorry), I agree that the notifications are definitely lacking (and I've not built much pre-conceived notion as I've not looked at the Pebble, and have been avoiding Android Wear discussions as I know it would skew my expectations). I was hoping there would be a 'notification' page where I could go to access notifications - having an email simply displayed on my Meteor screen for anyone looking to read (if they can focus on the tiny, unformatted text) is unacceptable to me (especially when I don't get the vibration to realize something other than the time is displayed on my wrist.

Global Posts
    2,185 Global Posts
    Definitely appreciate you sharing the comparison shots. While this is my first 'connected' watch (I can't call this thing smart - sorry), I agree that the notifications are definitely lacking (and I've not built much pre-conceived notion as I've not looked at the Pebble, and have been avoiding Android Wear discussions as I know it would skew my expectations). I was hoping there would be a 'notification' page where I could go to access notifications - having an email simply displayed on my Meteor screen for anyone looking to read (if they can focus on the tiny, unformatted text) is unacceptable to me (especially when I don't get the vibration to realize something other than the time is displayed on my wrist.
    This "private mode" where it does not display the actual message, just a notification that you have a message waiting is often missing in launch 1.0 devices. I know pebble didn't offer this at launch either, so I don't fault Kreyos for that. However, basic functionality like keeping a stable Bluetooth connection is something that should have exhaustively been tested.
    Last edited by Penguwin; 08-22-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Global Posts
    3,812 Global Posts
    This "private mode" where it does not display the actual message, just a notification that you have a message waiting is often missing in launch 1.0 devices. I know pebble didn't offer this at launch either, so I don't fault Kreyos for that. However, basic functionality like keeping a stable Bluetooth connection is something that sold have exhaustively been tested.
    Or basic functionality like deliver all notifications vs one out of every 5 or none at all when the BT is paired. I've factory reset this sucker three times today already!

Global Posts
    2,185 Global Posts
    Or basic functionality like deliver all notifications vs one out of every 5 or none at all when the BT is paired. I've factory reset this sucker three times today already!
    I'm actually impressed your wearing it as a daily driver, to be honest . Hehe

Global Posts
    3,812 Global Posts
    I'm actually impressed your wearing it as a daily driver, to be honest . Hehe
    Me too. Don't worry, it won't last.

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I'm wearing mine daily; but then it's the only watch I currently own. (until I return it for repair)

Global Posts
    3,812 Global Posts
    I'm wearing mine daily; but then it's the only watch I currently own. (until I return it for repair)
    Haha. I am too. I'll give up after tomorrow unless they come out with a new update like they did today. They did mention on fb that once 1.2.3 was available, they'd be submitting 1.2.4. Not sure why they didn't just combine the two updates. I mean, 1.2.3 isn't really worth the update.

Sfringer, are you getting your notifications on yours?

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Sfringer, are you getting your notifications on yours?
    When it manages to stay paired I do. But I'm not a fan of the fact it just displays the entire message immediately.

Global Posts
    3,812 Global Posts
    When it manages to stay paired I do. But I'm not a fan of the fact it just displays the entire message immediately.
    I can deal with that if the notifications just get delivered reliably.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast