Welcome to the Connectedly Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By pkcable
  • 1 Post By Penguwin
  • 2 Post By krisguy
  • 2 Post By eyecrispy
  • 1 Post By balama
  • 2 Post By James Falconer
  • 1 Post By eahinrichsen
  • 1 Post By ernbrdn

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

In the age of Android Wear (and possibly iWatch?), will you still wear your Pebble?

In light of Adam's article last week (With the arrival of Android Wear, does Pebble still matter? | Connectedly), in the age of Android Wear and a possible iWatch in the horizon, would you still wear your Pebble?

For me anyways, I still like the versatility, longer battery life, and more "cost-accessible" than others. What are your thoughts?
    Gadgets are my tall drink of water
    Nexus 7, 5, Galaxy Nexus, One - Chromecast - Pebble - TouchPad - MacBook Pro

Global Posts
    33,373 Global Posts
    Absolutely! I think the battery life is the main selling point, PLUS the established ecosystem. Also you have to consider the cross platform ability of the Pebble, so those of us that use all kinds of devices and don't mind changing platforms CAN switch when the new iPhone comes out, or back when that next hot new Android is released. And heck we can even use our BlackBerry with the Pebble!
    The Following User Says Thank You to pkcable For This Useful Post::
    krisguy (07-08-2014) 
    Jacques likes this.

Global Posts
    1,092 Global Posts
    I'll be keeping my pebble until google adds the one (or two) features I absolutely require to android wear (specifically to google play music). Unfortunately, these are features which will never be on pebble. Once those feature(s) arrive, I will buy a g watch (or maybe moto 360) and my pebble will be consigned to a drawer with my old (non smart) watches. Unless of course I find the battery issues and lack of outdoor readability totally annoying in which case I suppose the pebble could make a comeback!

Global Posts
    2,188 Global Posts
    Even tho I now own a LG G Watch, I will definitely still use my pebble for more dirty / dangerous jobs (like fixing cars, yard work, etc.).

As far as daily normal use tho, I'm going to give the LG a try for a while.
    Jacques likes this.

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    Absolutely! I think the battery life is the main selling point, PLUS the established ecosystem. Also you have to consider the cross platform ability of the Pebble, so those of us that use all kinds of devices and don't mind changing platforms CAN switch when the new iPhone comes out, or back when that next hot new Android is released. And heck we can even use our BlackBerry with the Pebble!
    This is exactly the reason I use Pebble. I switch phones constantly for work (like every 2 weeks) and it makes it easier to have something that lasts for days, cross platform, and I can see it outside!
    geekaren and Jacques like this.

Global Posts
    3,816 Global Posts
    Totally! Pebble is proven. Android Wear is brand new and iwatch doesn't even officially exist.
    Jacques and the_tech_eater like this.

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    since leaving android for BB10/Q10 I find my pebble of less and less value.
    Especially if the notifications/alerts aren't real time
    The iOS and BB10 interfaces just don't compare to how pebble android messaging worked for me.

I'm waiting to see how my hotwatch compares, but I actually think one of these micro earpieces that can notify you verbally (without broadcasting to the rest of the world) seems to be the way to go.

Something like how on air news folks have that off camera producer in their ear/head.
    My phones can somewhat do it today like in a handsfree environment but its intrusive where as some small profile BT earpiece like what they are doing today with hearing aids makes more sense.

That way you still aren't forced to look down to read something on your wrist like you would your phone or watch.

A watch controller combined with a ultra small earpiece receiver connected via bluetooth to your 7"-8" 1080P/4K smart device/phablet makes sense to me.

Even a Google Glass like heads up display paired with a smart watch controller and ultra earpiece makes more sense than just a watch or a smartphone or google glass alone.
    Jacques likes this.

Global Posts
    2,188 Global Posts
    That's a good idea... I'd try it! I actually have a pledge for a Kickstarter that has a similar idea (without the notification part, but that could be added), called The Dash headphones.

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    yea
    i predict a million and one complaints to start showing up in the comments section in 6-12 months
    I kind of have given up on tech kickstarter projects unless they are from existing companies like the Sprout (PS Audio)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search
    Community Manager

Global Posts
    3,616 Global Posts
    I think I will... at least until this first generation of smartwatches from the 'big boys' passes by. The LG G Watch and new Sammy smartwatch are nice and all... but I'm excited to see the Moto 360 and beyond... so much good stuff to come.

I'm hopeful Pebble will continue to innovate and remain relevant. They're great people and truly passionate about what they do.
    James Falconer
    Community Manager, Mobile Nations
    Email: james@mobilenations.com
    Twitter: @JamesFalconer
    Jacques and the_tech_eater like this.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I absolutely will. I like the idea of Android Wear a lot, but I travel all week for work, and I don't want to stuff yet ANOTHER charger into my bag. I left on Monday morning this week, and here I am on Friday morning with my Pebble at 40%. I doubt Android Wear will ever match that, so I'll stick with the Pebble.
    Jacques likes this.

Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eahinrichsen View Post
    I absolutely will. I like the idea of Android Wear a lot, but I travel all week for work, and I don't want to stuff yet ANOTHER charger into my bag. I left on Monday morning this week, and here I am on Friday morning with my Pebble at 40%. I doubt Android Wear will ever match that, so I'll stick with the Pebble.
    Agreed on all points. I'm going to be at a conference in a week, will not have much time to stop and charge my devices, so the last thing I need is having to lug around another portable charger just for the watch. The Pebble will be indispensable for me for those next few days.

That being said, and as James said above, there's more good stuff to come. We've seen a number of innovations among the various companies in the past year, and with Android Wear pushing the envelope further, I hope to see those other companies, Pebble included, to counter with even better things in the months to come.
    Gadgets are my tall drink of water
    Nexus 7, 5, Galaxy Nexus, One - Chromecast - Pebble - TouchPad - MacBook Pro

Global Posts
    233 Global Posts
    I will most definitely keep my pebble. At least for the time being, the new google watches do not appeal to me at all. In my opinion a watches first responsibility is to tell time, all the fidgeting that I have seen with the google watches has totally turned me off. The pebble is perfect in my opinion tells time, gives notifications, and most importantly it's not intrusive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Jacques likes this.