Welcome to the Connectedly Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By MattKerwin
  • 3 Post By Fairclough
  • 1 Post By genekend
  • 1 Post By Penguwin
  • 1 Post By balama
  • 1 Post By MattKerwin

Global Posts
    7,299 Global Posts

What makes Pebble Time so popular?

What is it about the newly announced Pebble Time watch that is causing it to be the new sensation in smartwatches? They've gotten a ridiculous number of backers since announcing their Kickstarter campaign yesterday. What features do you think are a draw for folks?

Color screen? Price? Form factor? Other?
    Ambassador

Global Posts
    2,133 Global Posts
    Great question!

I think it has a LOT to do with platform.

Pebble has shown that they are committed to keeping their app ecosystem plentiful and productive.

I ventured off to several android wear apps, but kept going back to my original pebble as I found it just so easy to use and I was able to use apps to accomplish things that android wear couldn't!
    eyecrispy likes this.

Global Posts
    3,997 Global Posts
    Honestly probably because it was one of the first smart watches on the market which lived up to what it said it couldn't do. It didn't come out saying extreme features it was honest so people believed it.

Now since the time already has a pebble fan base I guess it's just being launched straight off that

Posted via the Connectedly App for Android
    Takif, MattKerwin and eyecrispy like this.

Global Posts
    1,334 Global Posts
    I'm wearing a Pebble right now and have no clue what all the hub-bub is about.

Then again, I don't get the lust for iPhones (and a lesser extent Samsungs) either.

Maybe it's just me, I have a too high price/value/benefit mindset and take hours doing my homework. For example, I just spent over 24 hours researching a $100 knife purchase.

Pebble Time to me just doesn't make sense, although I'm sure it will make plenty of dollars. Ha! If you can't laugh at your own jokes you aren't doing it right!

Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Z
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    Honestly probably because it was one of the first smart watches on the market which lived up to what it said it couldn't do. It didn't come out saying extreme features it was honest so people believed it.

Now since the time already has a pebble fan base I guess it's just being launched straight off that

I agree with this.

I have a gear live but still hanker after a pebble. Why? Because it does what it needs to. For example.

My gear live has:
    heart rate. I only use it to show people (show off)
    Microphone. I only use to show people (show off)
    Colour screen. I don't really need colour for notifications and it's terrible in bright sunlight

In hindsight I should have got a pebble with its long battery life. I think it's the colour screen that is really tempting people here as a "step up" from the first pebble

Obviously that's just my usage and opinion and I'm sure plenty of folks need all the features of android wear and other devices similar

I just like to have the latest and greatest products from Pebble, Metawatch and Apple. I was original kickstarter Pebble backer, ordered pebble Steel first day and Early bird backer for Pebble Time. I have the Metawatch Strata and Meta M1. I have gotten every model of iPhone the day they came out and have had 6 different iPad models. Each upgrade has been better. I will oder Apple watch the day it is released. Almost forgot I had about 6 Blackberrys when I was working. Started with the Original Blackberry
    Penguwin likes this.

Global Posts
    7,299 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post

I totally agree! They didn't overhype and continuously delivered fixes/updates and made sure that the core features were reliable. Goes to show that not everything has to be flashy to capture marketshare.

Global Posts
    4,615 Global Posts
    Do just a few things really well and make it simple and people will notice.

I think this model has worked well for the pebble and they are going to stick with it.

They have also worked with their developer community to allow it to grow and flourish as much as it has.
    eyecrispy likes this.

Global Posts
    1 Global Posts
    Quality of the product is the main thing which makes Pebble time more popular.

Global Posts
    2,735 Global Posts
    I have gone from the original Pebble to the black Steel and now the Time. I've been pleased with all of them. I've been going to the next level of Pebble when the newest goes on sale.
    So now I have the Time.

I'm really liking the voice dictation. To speak my response to the wrist while driving and have it work better on the Pebble Time than my Gear 2 that I had briefly is great. Plus the battery life is great and I can use voice now for BBM.

Flicked via the BlackBerry Keyboard on my S5

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    for wearables and i've had my share over the decades
    its all about battery life and being 100 waterproof
    loved my original kickstarter pebble but the screen is too scrambled to read
    i did upgrade it recently to the new time os
    but the screen is still illegible

bought the time round after receiving the discount offer from erik as an original ks backer
    gonna give it away as a christmas present to my sister and my never opened hotwatch to my brother

bought a time classic to replace my dying original which i use as a vibrating alarm clock
    probably should've bought a replacement original for the battery life

nothing out there can compete on either of those two pretty critical needs for daily wear.
    MattKerwin likes this.
    Ambassador

Global Posts
    2,133 Global Posts
    I go back and forth between different Android Wear watches, but always go back, and feel at home with Pebble!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    eyecrispy likes this.

Global Posts
    7,299 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKerwin View Post
    I go back and forth between different Android Wear watches, but always go back, and feel at home with Pebble!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    You said it right! Pebble works well and is reliable. And the battery life is great.

Global Posts
    4,615 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balama View Post
    for wearables and i've had my share over the decades
    its all about battery life and being 100 waterproof
    loved my original kickstarter pebble but the screen is too scrambled to read
    i did upgrade it recently to the new time os
    but the screen is still illegible

bought the time round after receiving the discount offer from erik as an original ks backer
    gonna give it away as a christmas present to my sister and my never opened hotwatch to my brother

bought a time classic to replace my dying original which i use as a vibrating alarm clock
    probably should've bought a replacement original for the battery life

nothing out there can compete on either of those two pretty critical needs for daily wear.
    If the Pebble classic works for you and you love it... Stick with it! Why not?!

I still believe there is no one wearable for everyone, so if you find one that works for you... Go for it! 😁

BTW... Good gift ideas!
    Ambassador

Global Posts
    2,133 Global Posts
    something else we havent talked much about here...

pebbles can take a BEATING! i have a time steel and have whacked it on many walls, dropped it, threw it off while playing some bball, and it still looks great, and functions great!

they are definitely built to last!

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I want to vote the price and battery life. But the design of pebble is not my taste --;;

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I think worth of cost is pebble..
    Last edited by zocster; 04-12-2016 at 07:14 PM.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Hiii..
    Its a very good Question and I think my Answer will satisfy you....
    Pebble Time Watch Review: The Thinnest Smartwatch With An Affordable Price
    just visit this source...

thanks

Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    I first got the pebble classic, because it was the only smartwatch that I could make work with my BlackBerry Q10. I jumped to a gently used kickstarter edition Pebble Time, last year, and I have not changed it out. I have used the Nexus 6P, and now the BlackBerry Priv, and still use the PT, due to its battery life, and waterproofness. I have looked at Android Wear Devices, but cannot justify the cost, over my Time.