Who has a weather station at home? I have wanted one for age, however, just never took the plunge.
    04-17-2014 04:48 AM
    Ive always Wonderer why people got them. Then again I've always had one near my house so it hasnt been a major necessity. Guess people like them as a hobby?

Posted via Magical Leprechaun's who power a Nexus 4. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux.
    04-17-2014 06:09 AM
    I've got a very basic one that reads temp and humidity outside and in. The main unit also reads pressure changes and makes basic predictions on weather (limited to rain, sun and cloud, cloud or sun). For a short range forecast <12h it's very accurate albeit limited.
    I originally got it because my dog used to sleep outside but if we saw the temp start to fall too low we would bring him in.

I also do a quick check of external temp before deciding to cycle. I've discovered anything less than 5C isn't much fun so use that as a guide as to wether I will go on my bike or not.

I'm not bothered for wind as to get a meaningful result it would need to be way above the roof of my house to avoid effects if the buildings round about. It would be an eyesore going that high.
    04-17-2014 06:14 AM
    I want one to measure rain and wind mainly, just to keep historical data i guess.
    04-17-2014 07:47 AM
    I guess in sparse areas they may make sense, but with smartphones today being location aware everyone in pretty popular areas has a weather station in their pocket.

Most city or town has at least one station that uploads weather to the major providers. That's good enough for me, I don't need the exact weather in my back yard.
    04-17-2014 08:38 AM
    I want one to measure rain and wind mainly, just to keep historical data i guess.
    If they have a station near you, Weather Underground has a good historical data page.

Weather History & Data Archive | Weather Underground
    04-17-2014 08:41 AM
    I have a basic system similar to the one Chimpboy described, but mine does not work very well. The brand is Acu-rite (bought from Costco) but it is not very accurate. I've been unable to locate a position for the outside senser that does not receive undue influence from the sun. Right now, it is about 79 F in Memphis, but my system is telling me it is 91 F.
    04-26-2014 11:22 AM
    The sensor could be located on something hotter. E.g. metal exposed to the sun.

I did have a temperature one at my old place just built into the fire alarm system always was about right, not perfect but close.

Posted via Magical Leprechaun's.
    04-26-2014 03:34 PM
    I've got a very basic one that reads temp and humidity outside and in. The main unit also reads pressure changes and makes basic predictions on weather (limited to rain, sun and cloud, cloud or sun). For a short range forecast <12h it's very accurate albeit limited.
    I originally got it because my dog used to sleep outside but if we saw the temp start to fall too low we would bring him in.

I also do a quick check of external temp before deciding to cycle. I've discovered anything less than 5C isn't much fun so use that as a guide as to wether I will go on my bike or not.

I'm not bothered for wind as to get a meaningful result it would need to be way above the roof of my house to avoid effects if the buildings round about. It would be an eyesore going that high.
    I had one a while ago, and also found that it was pretty accurate for a short-term forecast. Often good enough to tell me whether I should plan on BBQ for supper or not. It's mostly redundant, but it was still nice to have it available at a glance without having to find my phone or turn on my computer.
    05-05-2014 12:47 PM
    Who has a weather station at home? I have wanted one for age, however, just never took the plunge.
    11-25-2016 05:10 PM