Hey everyone, this is my first posts in connectedly I'm excited to hear what you genius's have to say!

So, I'm honestly basing my first purchase of a smart watch off the answer to this question:

My friend and I want to get smartwatches but he's got a problem, his phone doesn't have service and its making it difficult as you could imagine to contact each other. Now I know, like a walkie-talkie, the range wouldn't be very far without a cellular service, but is there a smart watch that can connect directly via maybe Bluetooth to another smart watch without connecting through a phone?
    04-28-2015 08:34 PM
  2. MattKerwin said: Best Answer

hey there...welcome to connectedly...

unfortunately no, but you could check out the Neptune Pine as a stand-alone device...its quite large but acts as a watch and a phone...

you can check out a great review on it by Penguwin here:
    http://forums.connectedly.com/neptun...ne-flesh-4773/

unfortunately no, but you could check out the Neptune Pine as a stand-alone device...its quite large but acts as a watch and a phone...

Penguwin likes this.
    04-29-2015 07:56 AM

First off, welcome to Connectedly! Glad to have ya!

As mentioned above, the Neptune Pine is an option... It will need a connection to the internet of some kind tho for messaging. The Pine may be a bit pricey depending on your budget tho.

If your friend already has a phone (and you do to), you can try talk to each other over Wi-Fi without needing to have cellular service. Of course, this means BOTH phones will have to have a connection to the internet (either thru a Wi-Fi connection or cellular provider). Many public places (McDonald's, Starbucks, public libraries, most coffee shops, etc.) will offer free Wi-Fi access, so you could try to go to one of those if you do not have Wi-Fi access at home.

Once connected to the internet, it's really as easy as just picking which messaging service you want to use (Skype, WhatsApp, etc.).
    04-30-2015 10:45 PM