I was out with dinner the other night with some friends of mine, and we got to talking about the Apple Watch.

I'm a bit of a old school watch guy, and while I haven't owned a smartwatch yet, the thought of an "expensive" smartwatch intrigues me.

One of my friends said he read somewhere or heard that the gold and rose gold Apple Edition watches could sell for $5,000 or more.

Is this true?! If they truly are solid gold I could absolutely see this being the case, but for a technological instrument that is likely to be obsolete in a year or two (like most smartphones), it seems like this would be extremely expensive.

So what's the word?!
    09-24-2014 10:40 PM
  2. Penguwin said: Best Answer

My guess is closer to $1000... Maybe a little less, maybe a little more, but I definitely don't see it being $5000.

It was said to be an 18k rose gold (in other words, copper & gold) that Apple themselves had metallurgists develop to be twice as hard as standard gold. When this kind of metallurgy is at play, who knows how pure the gold actually is and therefore may not be as valuable to reach that high-end $5k mark. Not saying it's not valuable or anything... I'm just pointing out that there are a lot of unanswered questions about it.

We'll see when the price comes out if it can topple the current "most expensive SmartWatch"... Which to my knowledge is still the Hyetis Crossbow at the early bird price of $1,200 USD .
    My guess is closer to $1000... Maybe a little less, maybe a little more, but I definitely don't see it being $5000.

It was said to be an 18k rose gold (in other words, copper & gold) that Apple themselves had metallurgists develop to be twice as hard as standard gold. When this kind of metallurgy is at play, who knows how pure the gold actually is and therefore may not be as valuable to reach that high-end $5k mark. Not saying it's not valuable or anything... I'm just pointing out that there are a lot of unanswered questions about it.

We'll see when the price comes out if it can topple the current "most expensive SmartWatch"... Which to my knowledge is still the Hyetis Crossbow at the early bird price of $1,200 USD .
    09-25-2014 02:06 AM
    Another factor, adding to how pure the gold is, what other metals will be in the alloy? Like Nickel, or even steel?
    09-25-2014 09:00 AM
    Apple is not generally one to "value" price their devices. We shall see what the final price on the luxury version will be. I heard the 5k figure also, but I don't believe they have officially said yet. Also they will have a more reasonably priced option for us regular folks. Of course expect that to be a notch above what other charge for similar. Not that I would get an iWatch to go with my iPad. As a BlackBerry and Android phone user I will stick with cross compatible watches such as Pebble (my current fav), Martian, and Hot Watch (if it EVER comes out!).
    09-25-2014 09:20 AM
    I'd be surprised if the price ran to 1000's. People pay that for beautiful mechanical devices that can become heirlooms.

Sure it looks nice. But not that nice plus the tech will be obsolete in a few years. A mechanical watch will last hundreds of years If well looked after.

I think it will have a premium price tag BUT only in relation to other smart watches. I'm with penguwin in that if its over 1000usd it will have limited appeal

But I'm normally wrong with these things!!!

yours faithfully,
    Chimpboy74
    Penguwin likes this.
    09-25-2014 09:44 AM
    I think the bottom line is we are all just guessing and speculating at this point! Apple has not set a price yet!
    09-25-2014 11:31 AM
    I have heard that the Gold alone would cost around $800 which gives credence to the $1k figure.

Either way just ridiculous if you ask me. What will they think when apple watch 2 is released a year later.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    09-27-2014 06:58 PM
    I have heard that the Gold alone would cost around $800 which gives credence to the $1k figure.

Either way just ridiculous if you ask me. What will they think when apple watch 2 is released a year later.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    That's my stick. If they price it that high and it's obsolete the following year, it may turn some folks off. No way I'd pay that kind of price for a watch. Thank goodness I don't like gold.
    10-29-2014 09:37 AM