Hi
    I currently have a nexus 4 and am having some problems with it. I'm thinking about upgrading and like the lg g3 (a friend has the g2 and loves it)

I was also thinking about the nexus 5 (or 6). I currently am used to stock android 4.4.4 and have a gear live.

If I go to an lg how does it compare to stock with an lg skin?

What might I miss not being on KitKat (or L)?

The lg appeals for the screen size, screen quality, camera and expandable storage

yours faithfully,
    Chimpboy74
    09-17-2014 02:41 AM
  2. pkcable said: Best Answer

Our sister site Android Central has all the best Android phones listed here...

Android Phones and Devices | Android Central

Lately I am rocking and can recommend the One Plus One.......

OnePlus One | Android Central
    You definitely have options...

The Nexus 6 is coming... But it won't be until October probably and there is a lot of unanswered questions / rumors surrounding it. My guess is it will be Motorola this time, but I could be wrong.

The LG G3, from everything I've read, is a pretty damn nice device. Jumping to a 5.5 inch screen will be a bit of a change from your nexus 4, but I assume you have already thought of this. I've never had a non-nexus LG device, so I'm not sure how quick they are on getting out the latest Android updates.

Another option which I don't know if you've considered is the new Motorola Moto X (2014). No expansion memory (no SD slot) and a bit smaller battery than the G3 may not be ideal fit your requirements though. On the plus side, Motorola has shown to be committed to getting the latest Android updates out fast, so there shouldn't be any worry when "L" comes out.
    chimpboy74 likes this.
    09-17-2014 02:58 AM
    Both are good options, I would wait till November when the new devices come out.

If you need nexus 4 help feel free to ask.

Posted via the Connectedly App for Android
    chimpboy74 likes this.
    09-17-2014 04:57 AM
    Thanks

My birthday is November anyway so it makes sense to wait.

I've been pretty happy with my nexus 4 until recently when the BT started playing up and the battery is running down much faster. Its rare to make a full day anymore.

I could raise a ticket with google again but not sure I can be bothered with the hassle. Its still in warranty but I bought it as a cheap taster to android and didn't really expect to keep it (I was a die hard apple guy before) so now might be time to move on.

I'm avoiding Samsung as my kids have Samsung tablets and I don't like their implementation of android (if that's the right word)

I like my stock nexus!!

I'll wait and see what the nexus 6 brings but I'm hoping for a bigger screen and camera. I've seen some pics taken on the g2 and am very impressed. Larger capacity or even better expandable (if it works correctly. My kids Samsung tablets I have a big issue with that I can't move apps to the SD card which is a pain. )

I have 16gb on my nexus and find I have to manage storage whereas with 32gb I would be less worried.

And while I'm on a wish list. Wireless charging with a stand so phone can be used as a clock on a night stand whilst charging

And laser beams. (For scaring people....not focussing a camera)

yours faithfully,
    Chimpboy74
    Last edited by chimpboy74; 09-17-2014 at 05:26 AM.
    09-17-2014 05:12 AM
    The more I read about the g3 the more I'm impressed. I can get it for gbp360 off Amazon which seems reasonable.

Should only be a month or so to wait for nexus 6 announcement.

yours faithfully,
    Chimpboy74
    09-17-2014 08:56 AM
    Yea... I'm actually considering that new moto x myself, but I'm going to wait for the Nexus announcement. Up to you, of course... B-Day is a good "get out of jail" excuse with the wife for buying a new device tho, I'd imagine .

From past experience (and Google's stance on these things), I can almost certainly tell you that the new Nexus 6 will NOT have expandable storage (SD) or a removable battery. This is just the way of the Nexus really.

The Qi charger depends on the device, of course, but the leaving it on as a clock or whatever as it charges is an option in Android 4.4 called "Daydream" . Most any 4.4 should have this unless the manufacturer took it out for some reason.

09-17-2014 01:03 PM
    i have a nexus 5 and absolutely love it...this is after having a note 3...

im hearing the nexus 6 is going to be up in price from the 5 so if buying outright is where your at, jump on the 5 while its still available...

if your going on contract (or even buying out, its not a huge spike) i really like the specs / look of the moto x 2014

keep us posted on what ya get and your results with it!
    09-17-2014 07:15 PM
    im hearing the nexus 6 is going to be up in price from the 5 so if buying outright is where your at, jump on the 5 while its still available...
    There is no guarantee this will happen again, but shortly before Google released the Nexus 5, the Nexus 4's got a nice price reduction in the Play store (most likely to sell out what remaining inventory they had before the Nexus 5 hit). Like I said, no guarantee that Google will do the same for the 5 this time around, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again.

Just a little heads up for those considering the 5 over the 6 or any of the other options.
    09-18-2014 01:20 AM
    There is no guarantee this will happen again, but shortly before Google released the Nexus 5, the Nexus 4's got a nice price reduction in the Play store (most likely to sell out what remaining inventory they had before the Nexus 5 hit). Like I said, no guarantee that Google will do the same for the 5 this time around, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again.

Just a little heads up for those considering the 5 over the 6 or any of the other options.
    Yah. That's how I got my nexus 4. My brother in law has the 5 and sister in law theG2. He reckons the g2 is better than the nexus. Personal taste I guess. At least I can have a look at theirs and get an idea. Their son has just got the htc m8 too so 3 birds can be killed with one stone.

yours faithfully,
    Chimpboy74
    Last edited by chimpboy74; 09-18-2014 at 04:12 PM.
    09-18-2014 01:51 AM
    Definitely favouring the g3 at the moment. Normally would go for smallest capacity and add SD card but the jump in RAM to 3gb on the 32 GB model is a consideration. (Plus extra cost of SD card etc)

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the jump in ram is worth paying the extra for?

I'm not going to get this till mid November so a new nexus might also be on cards.

yours faithfully,
    Chimpboy74
    09-19-2014 07:49 AM
    Sorry I skipped a bit, however, a friend of mine was having problems with his N4 and Google replaced it with a N5. Might be a way to get another 6 months.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    09-19-2014 08:20 AM
    Discovered an app seems to be taking up a lot of battery power even when I haven't used it. I might try deleting that to see what effect it has.

Still want the g3 though......

yours faithfully,
    Chimpboy74
    09-19-2014 08:46 AM
    Sorry I skipped a bit, however, a friend of mine was having problems with his N4 and Google replaced it with a N5. Might be a way to get another 6 months.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I've gone back to google as I was playing music via Bluetooth last night and it went very weird. Like it was disconnecting band reconnecting very rapidly making the music jittery. Only happened after an hour or so of OK streaming.

The disconnect from my watch is nowhere near as bad as before my reset but annoying nonetheless.

Will see what google suggest. If they cant fix it its an excuse to get the G3!!!

yours faithfully,
    Chimpboy74
    Teejai80 likes this.
    09-19-2014 03:25 PM
    Definitely favouring the g3 at the moment. Normally would go for smallest capacity and add SD card but the jump in RAM to 3gb on the 32 GB model is a consideration. (Plus extra cost of SD card etc)

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the jump in ram is worth paying the extra for?

I'm not going to get this till mid November so a new nexus might also be on cards.

yours faithfully,
    Chimpboy74
    While the 3 GB of RAM may not be incredibly beneficial at this exact moment, I would venture that it would best serve you down the road as kind of a bit of "future-proofing". As far as the 32GB internal storage goes, I bought a 32 GB Nexus 5 as I was feeling the pinch on my 16 GB Nexus 4 and am perfectly happy with it. 32 GB seems the sweet spot for me where I can have everything I want to have on me without relying on a cloud service or having a reliable data connection (which sometimes is just not happening) . This, of course, largely depends on the user and what they plan on doing with the device.

One more thing, if your not making a purchase until November... I would definitely keep an open mind towards a new Nexus device that should be released by that time.
    09-20-2014 03:39 AM
    I thought I had resolved the battery issue with deleting a rogue app.

I've noticed that I've been off charge for 5h 13mins and am down to 34% battery. The biggest usage at 17% is screen time (1h 26 mins)
    Strava used 10% with 1h 6 mins GPS usage)

I still feel like it never used to be as bad as this for battery life.

On another note I played with a g3 in store yesterday and I really like it. Its massive without being, well...massive!

yours faithfully,
    Chimpboy74
    09-24-2014 08:05 AM
    And since my last post I've dropped to 14% battery.

Screens only been on 1h 41m

yours faithfully,
    Chimpboy74
    09-24-2014 09:15 AM
    And since my last post I've dropped to 14% battery.

Screens only been on 1h 41m

yours faithfully,
    Chimpboy74
    20% in a little over an hour, if I'm reading that correctly. Something has to be running in the background. 😕

Hrmm.... October is getting closer and hopefully so is the Nexus 6 release .
    09-24-2014 07:46 PM
    20% in a little over an hour, if I'm reading that correctly. Something has to be running in the background. 😕

Hrmm.... October is getting closer and hopefully so is the Nexus 6 release .
    Yes the rumors of a 5.9" device are intriguing. If they can squeeze that into a design that doesn't feel massive I might be tempted. I looked at the g3 and liked the screen and overall size.

yours faithfully,
    Chimpboy74
    09-25-2014 05:33 AM

09-25-2014 09:14 AM

It looks good. One thing I can't get my head round. What's with the invite lark? Why not just sell it and make money???

yours faithfully,
    Chimpboy74
    09-25-2014 09:27 AM
    09-25-2014 11:28 AM
    It looks good. One thing I can't get my head round. What's with the invite lark? Why not just sell it and make money???

yours faithfully,
    Chimpboy74
    The invite thing was originally set to not only increase demand and develop interest, but also more than likely used to cover up the fact that they may not have been able to successfully manufacturer and produce as many of these things as they wanted. In other words, full scale manufacturing was somehow beyond their reach... Not sure why. Of course, that last part about not being able to make enough is just my personal speculation.

As pk points out, once you get a few out in the wild and can show a certain level of demand, your manufacturing options may change for the better. So, they will hopefully open it up in the future.
    09-25-2014 12:16 PM
    Good (ish) news on my nexus issues. Google are going to replace it for me. I say "ish" as I was hoping to use this as an excuse for new lg g3 phone not now though. Boo!!!

That said. A nexus 5 is not to be sniffed at!!!
    Last edited by chimpboy74; 09-29-2014 at 09:22 AM.
    09-29-2014 07:33 AM
    Ah. I just went to the online tool to order the replacement and it's a refurbished nexus 4. I think I might just skip it and Order the lg g3
    09-29-2014 01:26 PM
    Hehe... Just an idea. You could get the refurb and the g3, but sell the refurb on eBay (or whatever) to re-coup some of the cost of the g3. Like I said, just an idea .
    09-29-2014 01:35 PM
37 12