This guide will step you through how to increase your phones security with a few simple steps. All you need is an Android phone, tasker app and security settings plugin. The goal is to have your phone unlocked whenever it is with you and locked with a password when it's not. There are apps already available that accomplish this (pebble locker for example), however, last time I checked none were as flexible as tasker.

If you haven't already download these applications.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ndroid.taskerm

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ettings.plugin

When I write something like this I always start with the task. I first created a new task called lock.
    Using secure settings the first step is to lock the device and then set a pin.

We are setting a pin here and it will clear any existing pins so remember it! I also don't believe this works with other lock methods.

Now create a new task called Unlock. Again with secure settings simple set clear password.

Okay tasks done now to create the profile.
    I am still learning tasker and how to use variables so I cheated with multiple profiles. First the lock.

This says if the phone has no Bluetooth connection to my pebble then proceed to lock task. Also note you can add extra devices and Wifi here. I am using "state" to set these.

To unlock the device because tasker doesn't allow the "or" command I simply created a profile for each device. Here is the pebble.

Again nice and easy, watch connected, clear pin. Simply follow this for any other lock connections you have created.

Once done start testing it out. The easiest way is to put the phone into aeroplane mode. It should turn its display off immediately and greet you with the lock screen on turn on.

I have been running this for a few weeks now and it's been flawless. I will also try and upload a video tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    02-17-2014 06:27 AM
    Great Job!
    02-17-2014 06:50 AM
    Nice job dev.
    Was wondering if you could do something like this with IFTTT too since it works in a similar fashion as the tasker app does. But the UI of IFTTT is much better and setting the trusted bluetooth devices tag using connection with pebble and subsequent unlock can act as the recipe.
    (btw I hope this counts as a forum post for the connectedly giveaway)
    05-03-2014 06:10 AM
    I have started getting into ifttt. Will give it a go for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    05-03-2014 06:17 AM