Will a home security system still work even when the power goes off?
    10-24-2014 01:13 AM
  2. ChristopherAllison said: Best Answer

Ours has a battery backup that will last 4 hrs (I think). And it will send texts as the power is dying. Pretty nice. We've had a few more severe power outages that have caused the system to lose backup power but more often than not, the backup is sufficient.
    Thank you!
    If properly installed yes...they run off a separate power source to keep from people potentially cutting your power before breaking in
    10-24-2014 05:39 AM
    Ours has a battery backup that will last 4 hrs (I think). And it will send texts as the power is dying. Pretty nice. We've had a few more severe power outages that have caused the system to lose backup power but more often than not, the backup is sufficient.
    ChristopherAllison likes this.
    10-24-2014 06:58 AM
    Yes a decent system should have a back up.

My home system (quite old and installed before I bought the house) was alarming one night when I got home. Reason was there had been a short power cut and the backup battery kicked in and started alarming. We didn't know the code for it to shut it down so phoned the company and they told us how to bypass the backup battery!!!

They didn't ask for any proof of who I was so wasn't too impressed it was that easy to stop the system from going off.

yours faithfully,
    Chimpboy74
    10-24-2014 07:49 AM
    we recently lost power a few weeks back in the neighborhood...and i heard several alarms going off once the power went out...found that very interesting as well...
    10-24-2014 10:18 AM
    Typically yes. It also depends on what you want and if the system is monitored.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    10-24-2014 05:08 PM
    Thank you!
    10-27-2014 04:57 AM
    Yup. A good security system work even after the power goes off. A back-up battery is activated to maintain the power of the alarm device for more time. During power off, a low battery signal is sent to the main station and you are notified. But not all security systems will be having such a back-up. Like what Chimpboy said, a decent system should have a back up. I think home security systems such as videorelay which are installed from Alarmforce have a good back-up. So before you purchase such a security system, make sure that they get all such advantages.
    10-30-2014 10:37 PM
    If your alarm system operates over traditional phone lines, it will continue to communicate with the monitoring center in the event of a power outage. The phone lines remain operational and the main security control panel in your home will likely continue to operate on backup power for a specified amount of time.
    10-11-2017 07:42 AM