Nest recently announced its developer program to allow other third-party apps and services to hook into your Nest products. Now under the control of Google, Nest was given its own developer session at Google I/O where a few examples were given on how other devices can, and will use the API.

- Jawbone UP can detect when you wake up in the morning and then set your Nest thermostat to the right temperature to warm the house for you.
    - Your Mercedes can tell your Nest when you're a certain distance from getting home at the end of the day and make sure the Nest gets the house to the right temperature.
    - Lifx light bulbs hook into the Nest Protect and flash red when it detects smoke in the house because red is the best color to illuminate a smoky environment.

With the APIs open to third-party services and app developers there are potentially a ton of new ways we're going to see Nest integration with our other connected products.

So with those examples to get you started, what would you like to see happen with your connected devices and Nest? Go wild!
    06-27-2014 09:15 AM
    I saw a video on youtube or maybe it was Google Plus, from a guy using his Google Glass to control the Nest. I believe his was a kinda sorta hack, BUT certainly having the ability to control it with wearable tech like Glass or a smart watch would be handy!
    Penguwin likes this.
    06-27-2014 11:06 AM
    I saw a video on youtube or maybe it was Google Plus, from a guy using his Google Glass to control the Nest. I believe his was a kinda sorta hack, BUT certainly having the ability to control it with wearable tech like Glass or a smart watch would be handy!
    Totally agree! Even tho I don't have a Nest, that would just be incredible!
    06-27-2014 07:30 PM
    Would love a nest that worked with ductless HVAC systems. Seems to be an underserved market to me.

Posted via Connectedly App
    06-28-2014 11:45 AM
    Would love a nest that worked with ductless HVAC systems. Seems to be an underserved market to me.

That's actually a good point, never really considered that angle. I'm guessing the Honeywell one doesn't do this either.
    06-28-2014 02:47 PM
    That's actually a good point, never really considered that angle. I'm guessing the Honeywell one doesn't do this either.
    Actually Honeywell has a couple products not just the Lyric, and I believe at least one of them does HVAC control, and zones and such.
    06-29-2014 10:23 AM
    Actually Honeywell has a couple products not just the Lyric, and I believe at least one of them does HVAC control, and zones and such.
    Yes, but it's for a central (ducted) AC system, not AC units that are controlled via a IR remote. Frankly, I'm surprised that no one has come out with a IR-based system yet.
    06-29-2014 02:09 PM
    Yes, but it's for a central (ducted) AC system, not AC units that are controlled via a IR remote. Frankly, I'm surprised that no one has come out with a IR-based system yet.
    I just saw the story HERE about the Aros air conditioner and immediately thought of this thread. Now, this isn't a thermostat... but, it is a Smart window (ductless) air conditioner that has WiFi capability and apps to allow it to be controlled from your smartphone.

So, I guess someone was thinking about this untapped market as well... Just not the thermostat people .
    07-01-2014 05:10 AM
    Nest supports ZigBee and here is a ZigBee to ir adapter:
    http://www.in-homeautomation.com/sto...ir-module.html

Odds are you want more than the two zones nest supports.

At that point, skip nest and buy a home automation system like Vera or Smart things that have existing support for remote thermometers, multiple thermostats and ir blasters.

Or wait a bit. I expect Google to react to Samsung and either release a nest hub of their own or buy Vera.

07-27-2014 02:48 PM
    Honeywell does have remote systems for HVAC units (like the ones in many newer apartments where units are in each room and have totally separate thermostats that are on panels on the HVAC unit itself. I'm in the process of selecting one. I really would prefer Nest, but they're not out yet. I'll have to check the zigbee option.
    Samsung S5 (Android), Samsung Ativ SE (WP), Nexus 7, and a bunch of Connected Home stuff
    09-04-2014 08:51 PM